Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy
What is VRT?
VRT (vestibular rehabilitation therapy) is the assessment and treatment of symptoms related to vestibular (inner ear/balance) disorders. These symptoms can be frightening and debilitating and include vertigo, dizziness, nausea, poor balance, ear-pain and tinnitus.
What does treatment involve?
Following a thorough examination, an appropriate treatment plan will be put together and this may include:
- Body, head and eye co-ordination retraining and strengthening exercises
- Canal repositioning procedure for BPPV – Epley or Semont manoeuvres
- Balance re-education
- Optokinetic and sound stimulation exercsies
- Advice and education on how to manage the condition
What conditions and symptoms are treated here?
- Vestibular neuritis
- Balance issues
- Vestibular dysfunction – bilateral or unilateral
- Menières Disease
- Chronic dizziness